United States to continue trade actions against China, statement from the White House

United States to continue trade actions against China, statement from the White House

United States to continue trade actions against China, statement from the White House

Beijing has already pledged to retaliate against the 25 percent tariffs, which the White House said will specifically target Chinese imports "containing industrially significant technology, including those related to the "Made in China 2025" program".

President Trump signed a memorandum in late March announcing the administration would take steps to protect domestic technology and intellectual property from China's "discriminatory and burdensome" trade practices.

The White House said the Trump administration would also move forward with restrictions on Chinese investment and with stronger export controls meant to limit the access that Chinese people and companies have to American technology - a measure the administration said was for national security purposes.

In a statement Tuesday, the White House said a final list of covered imports will be released by June 15 and the tariffs will be imposed "shortly thereafter".

"From now on, we expect trading relationships to be fair and to be reciprocal", Donald Trump said in statement.

"Discussions with China will continue on these topics, and the United States looks forward to resolving long-standing structural issues and expanding our exports by eliminating China's severe import restrictions", the White House said.

China and the U.S. averted a trade war by reaching an agreement on May 20 under which Beijing agreed to "significantly increase" its purchases of American goods and services to reduce United States dollars 375 billion trade deficit with Washington.


The back-and-forth comes just days before Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is scheduled to go to Beijing to continue talks with Chinese officials.

The White House issued a second statement listing the details of many complaints against China, including dumping of goods into the U.S. market at below market value, high tariffs and overcapacity - likely referring to steel and aluminum, which are subject to another set of harsh United States tariffs.

The Trump-China business relationship has recently drawn scrutiny after the president bizarrely touted the need to protect Chinese jobs and revive the Chinese telecommunications company ZTE, which had been sanctioned by the USA and was believed to be a national security threat.

In March, America's commander in chief threatened to increase the tax on Chinese imports, which would affect certain aerospace parts to specific computer components, potentially demanding up to 25 per cent extra in charges on incoming equipment.

China later retaliated by levying tariffs against USA exports.

The White House announcement came on the heels of stiff criticism from lawmakers of the White House's negotiating tactics and willingness to soften tough penalties in some cases with no benefit to the US.

"We're putting the trade war on hold", Mnuchin said at the close of those meetings on May 20.

Noticias relacionadas



[an error occurred while processing the directive]