Australia increases Takata air bags recall to just under 4 million cars

Australia increases Takata air bags recall to just under 4 million cars

Australia increases Takata air bags recall to just under 4 million cars

The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) said on Monday the additional 1.1 million vehicle models would be recalled at a later, unspecified date.

The ACCC published a revised recall list Sunday which added a further 1.1 million vehicles targeted for future airbag replacement, including the Mercedes Benz C Class, Ford Mondeo and Toyota Yaris.

A spokesperson said about 2.8 million vehicles were under active recall, which meant auto owners had been or were being contacted.

Michael Sukkar, assistant minister to the Treasurer, said drivers of the vehicles added to the list would be informed of the timetable for replacement directly.

It requires suppliers of defective Takata airbags to replace those parts by December 31, 2010, or later in some instances approved by the ACCC.

The full list can be found here.


"The alpha airbags really are incredibly worrying, there was a fault in the manufacturing of some airbags in the early 2000s and there is a much greater chance that they will deploy and harm or kill people than the other airbags", Rickards said.

The additions are not yet under active recall, but they're advising owners to get in contact with their manufacturer to arrange down the track.

The defective airbags, which can shatter shards of metal upon activation, have caused 23 deaths worldwide, including one in Sydney a year ago, and about 230 injuries.

Airbags in 1.9 million cars had been replaced, however, 900,000 were yet to be completed.

Rickards is imploring all Australians to visit the ACCC website to see if their vehicles are equipped with Takata bags, and to treat the situation as life and death.

Noticias relacionadas



[an error occurred while processing the directive]