Man dies from bacterial infection after eating raw oysters in Florida

Man dies from bacterial infection after eating raw oysters in Florida

Man dies from bacterial infection after eating raw oysters in Florida

A Florida man's bacteria infected oysters eaten at a restaurant in Sarasota killed him a few days later, The Sun-Sentinel reported. Other bacteria can cause flesh-eating disease as well - in fact, Vibrio bacteria are far less likely to cause these infections than group A Streptococcus bacteria and certain other types.

The Florida Department of Health has revealed that an elderly man died from bacterial infection after eating tainted oyster at a restaurant.

A 71-year-old Florida man has recently lost his life due to a risky infection, after eating raw oysters at a Sarasota restaurant, reports Fox News. The report also stated that the man had underlying medical issues. The name of the man or the restaurant where he ate were not released. Nonetheless, it said that this is the first confirmed case and death of Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year.

Flesh-eating bacteria Vibrio vulnificus is often located in the shellfish. But it's very rare; the CDC estimates are that there are about 205 cases in the USA every year. "That's usually not the case when someone consumes the bacteria", Drennon said. "Septicemia can be characterized by fever and chills, occasionally accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and pain in the extremities".


The illness was caused by Vibrio vulnificus, officials said.

Vibrio vulnificus bacteria are typically found in salt water and in raw or undercooked shellfish, notes the Florida Department of Health.

Anyone with a weak immune system is advised to wear sandals or flip flops when entering the water to lower the risk of getting cut or scraped by seashells. In this particular case, the infection with this pathogen has resulted in severe gastrointestinal symptoms that eventually led to death.

The department recommends avoiding raw shellfish and staying out of warm seawater if you have an open wound. In 2016, there were 46 confirmed cases statewide and 10 fatalities.

Noticias relacionadas



[an error occurred while processing the directive]