Huawei to spend $2 bn on cybersecurity over next 5 years

Huawei to spend $2 bn on cybersecurity over next 5 years

Huawei to spend $2 bn on cybersecurity over next 5 years

Huawei has been in the news these past weeks for the arrest of its chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou - also the daughter of its billionaire founder Ren Zhengfei - in Canada at the request of the United States.

Huawei has denied the allegations.

China's largest technology company by sales has rapidly become a lightning rod for America's fears about the Asian country, as tensions between the world's two richest nations escalate.

A Czech cyber-security agency on Monday warned against using the software and hardware of China's Huawei and ZTE companies, saying they posed a threat to state security.

No details have been given on the latest, but Trudeau said it was "a very separate case" from last week when former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and businessman Michael Spavor were detained amid the diplomatic quarrel triggered by Meng's arrest.

"Some countries in rare cases take an abnormal approach". Relations already are strained over Trump's tariff hikes on billions of dollars of Chinese imports in a fight over complaints Beijing steals or pressures companies to hand over technology.

"Despite the efforts to create fear about Huawei and to use politics to interfere with industry growth, we're proud to say that our customers continue to trust us".

"What is the United States doing to help gain the release of two Canadians - and now potentially a third - detained by China in apparent retaliation for Canada's lawful arrest of Ms. Meng?" Meng, the daughter of Huawei's founder, Ren Zhengfei, faces possible US charges of lying to a bank to hide Huawei's dealings with Iran. Its ambitions include artificial intelligence, chipmaking and 5G wireless.

Huawei, the world's biggest producer of telecoms equipment, faces intense scrutiny in the West over its ties to the Chinese government and concerns its equipment could be used by Beijing for spying.


The curbs have had little impact so far on Huawei, which says global sales are on track to top $100 billion this year.

This has exacerbated the woes of the Chinese firm, which has already been virtually locked out of the US market and has been prohibited by Australia and New Zealand from building 5G networks amid concerns its gear could facilitate Chinese spying. Hu said he was unable to comment due to legal processes underway, but he did express that business operations were not being impacted by this event.

More so, the Shenzhen-based tech company is set to bring its 5G technology to India, a market with more than 1.3 billion population.

Yet the outlook may be dimming for Huawei there.

"From a deployment cost point of view, it will be significantly higher and will delay time-to-market of new technologies", he said.

Hu promised repeatedly to expand efforts to respond to "legitimate concerns" from regulators, telecom carriers or the public.

The question now is whether the US, which is preparing its case against Meng, will also accuse Huawei of seeking to side-step sanctions - a move that may eventually trigger the same sort of moratorium on purchases of American technology that almost killed off smaller rival ZTE Corp.

Hu emphasised the information-sharing and collaboration centres Huawei is building in Europe, Canada, and elsewhere to evaluate products. Today we have 13,000 suppliers in our supply chain. The company has confidence in the fairness and independence of the judicial systems in Canada and the US.

Noticias relacionadas



[an error occurred while processing the directive]