Man Dies After Electronic Cigarette Explodes In His Face

Man Dies After Electronic Cigarette Explodes In His Face

Man Dies After Electronic Cigarette Explodes In His Face

A 24-year-old Fort Worth man died last month after his vape pen exploded in his face, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's office.

The medical examiner's report ruled William's cause of death as "penetrating trauma from exploding vaporizer pen" which led to a the "dissection of left internal carotid artery" and "cerebral infarction and herniation".

The fatal incident unfolded moments after William Brown, who'd borrowed his grandmother's vehicle to run some errands, stepped out of a Smoke & Vape DZ store at a nearby shopping mall on January 27 with his very first electronic cigarette.

"It just all seems so unreal". That three-piece thing went into his throat and stayed there, ' Alice said.

The incident is believed to be the second known reported death in the US caused by an exploding vape pen.

One in 20 adults in the USA is reported to vape, and according to the research vaping could increase their chances of suffering a heart attack by nearly 60 percent.

William Brown died two days after the January 27 explosion, which sent shrapnel into his neck and skull.

There have been 195 incidents of explosions and fires caused by e-cigarettes reported by USA media between January 2009 and December 2016, according to a report from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.


A shop representative told KTVT that Brown entered and asked for help using a "Mechanical Mod" style vape pen, a brand the store said it refuses to sell as it is known to have technical issues.

She said he was not a regular smoker - and had been told that there was a certain type of vape pen that could help with his asthma symptoms. In most of those cases, the explosion caused nearby objects to catch fire and 133 of the incidents resulted in injuries. He was said to have suffered burns over 80% of his body.

He was rushed by ambulance to a JPS Health Network hospital in Fort Worth where he was x-rayed and put in a medically induced coma.

Brown's grandmother said she's not interested in suing because it won't bring her grandson back.

A North Texas man was killed when an e-cigarette exploded in his face.

That number was more than 40 times higher than the number of injuries reported by the Food and Drug Administration from 2009 to 2015.

The researchers said regulation and surveillance of e-cigarette devices "is urgently needed".

Noticias relacionadas



[an error occurred while processing the directive]